The memories of Grandpa that I have are some of the best memories that I have both as an adult and as a child. One of my first memories is having a bath in the big blue tub and then running around the house nakiebum to dry off. The other early memories that I have are sitting on Grandpas lap late at night watching the snow fall, and deer come into the yard while Grandpa told mostly fictitious stories about hunting or camping with Fritz. There was nothing better than waking up in the morning to the sound of Grandpa slaving away in the kitchen, making his world famous ponkin eggs, peppered bacon, and pancakes. That was always the best way to start the morning before a long hard day of having loads of fun.
Grandpa is the only one in the world who can make mowing his yard fun. That could be due to the fact that the ride on the John Deere mower was probably the first thing that any of us kids drove that had four wheels. Watering the grass in the summer is also one of the fondest memories that I have. Walking up to the canal with Grandpa and Fritzie to open the gate and let the water out of the canal. Chasing it all the way back to the yard, jumping in our bathing suites and splashing through the water on the lawn. Inevitably the biggest water fight in the world would start, and then always end with someone feeling totally cold and picked on.
In the winter we got to use the snow blower to clean all of the fresh snow off of the drive way and sidewalks. The hot tub was always the perfect temperature but you could only stay in for five or ten minutes before you had to jump into the snow and do snow angels to cool off. Then it was time to jump right back into the hot tub until your body stopped tingling and you could feel your hands and toes.
Grandpa was always good about keeping us kids busy. In the winter it was snow sledding, skiing and tubing, and in the summer it was tubing down the canal and four wheeling. Saying goodbye is always something that also sticks in my mind. Grandpa would always stand on the front porch waving until we rounded the corner and couldn't see him anymore, no matter how cold it was outside.
Since I have grown up I have really come to enjoy the quality time that I have spent with Grandma and Grandpa. Having a nice dinner and great conversation is a different side to them both that I really cherish. Grandpa has a way of making everyone that he comes into contact with feel like they are the most important person in the world. Amber has felt like she has been a grand daughter of his her whole life. As we welcome our new baby into the world I hope that my daughter gets to enjoy the Grandpa that hasn't changed a bit. I know that she will also have the same memories of story telling and fun that could not be replaced.
In loving memory,
B.J. Ford
This blog has been made for and dedicated to my Dad as a place for him to gather and record his memories, thoughts and experiences. I hope it will be well used and enjoyed not only by him, but also by close family. I invite family members to contribute memories of their experiences with him as well.
Merry Christmas 2008 Dad!
Lynea aka Sis
Merry Christmas 2008 Dad!
Lynea aka Sis
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment